Tuesday, October 17, 2006

As much as I try to sound rosey, this surgery is just like having the kidney surgery all over again. The need for a pancreas is more evident than ever since my diabetes blood sugar measures are off the chart no matter how many injections I take. I still have yuck remanents so I have been up coughing and spewing sputum all over the balance. All the midnight sit ups have made the pain of my 14 staples 10 times worse. (It is 14, not 20...I counted!) I'll find out on Friday exactly when I will be healed and ready for status 7 active.
I am at Ministorage today doing homework, but of course I got sidetracked. Actually not really because I am getting data for my Master's project. I looked on OPTN.org, the Organ Procurement Transplant Network and discovered that on the Brigham and Women's Hospital Pancreas Candidates, there are currently 5. All are in a holding pattern. No surgeries have been completed according to current data. 3 of the candidates are men; two women. 2 have type A blood. 1 is between 16 and 34 years of age (guess who?) SO chances are- as soon as the hernia staples come out, a pancreas will be going in soon after.
I continue volunteering with NEOB. I spoke at their new staff orientation and previewed my movie/slide show. I am trying to tailor it to a 16 to 21 age target population. I NEED AN APPROPRIATE SONG...Please help- I am way too old and "I'm Alive" by Celine Dion is okay for adults but for a highschool sophomore- DOUBTFUL. Okay, customer.

No comments: