Saturday, December 09, 2006

Well, it's holiday time again and instead of printing out snip-its of my year in summary, I thought it best to direct people here so they can see the pictures and get a real blow by blow about what life has had in store for me in 2006.

I spent most of January and February recovering from my kidney transplant. I can't begin to thank the family of Brett Stern enough for their sacrifice and truly making LIFE possible this year. With this in the back of my mind I set out to pay homage to my donor Brett and of course, Uncle Bob. My lungs turned 74 this year and are doing quite well. In March, I began dating Kevin and Heather (yes, a package deal) and although things went quickly and weren't without hiccups, they are even better now. I began working at Camelot Self-Storage one day a week to start to be part of the family business. A good, quiet job where I can do my school work. In April, I celebrated my 7th lung transplant anniversary! Yippee! In May, I ended up moving in with Kevin and Heather, helping with bills and babysitting. I parted ways with Carrie, who has since moved back to FL. It's hard to live with friends sometimes and I think we found our expiration date for being roomies. June waas filled with babysitting and July found me with a rubber hose up my nose for sinus surgery. I decided to not take summer classes and to give myself a break. August found me working a whole 45 hours in a row- a feat I hadn't done in years. I was excited I could work, but I really need to recuperate from the marathon so that I could have the work-up for my pancreas. On Sept 7th, I was one of 4 listed at the Brigham and Women's. Also in September my oldest brother Scott got married. Everyone had a blast. Unfortunately, I came down with pneumonia just after and my excessive partying didn't help. In October, I was totally spent up with school and figuring out things with Kevin. It seems we hit a little speed bump. He was working overnights and was miserable. Serious questions came about whether we should stay together or not and which/whose direction we were headed in. Halloween was adorable with Heather as a ladybug and Detroit as a bumble bee. They are quite the pair. I decided to move back to Liberty Street in November to prepare for pre and post transplant- to have a space of my own and give Kevin some space too. It seems to be the remedy because when I went away to Jessica's wedding over Thanksgiving he was amazed by the thought of what life would be like without me. And now here it is in December, waiting...waiting for a pancreas, for snow, for Santa. I've learned to live with waiting and have shared this notion with many of the students and groups I've spoken with. Volunteering and spreading the word of the importance of organ and tissue donation has been main mission this year and I think it has been successful.

So what about next year? WELL<>

I have been blogging somewhat less because although I swore I wouldn't do it, I started a myspace page for a Northeastern Project so...myspace.com/don8life

Seasons Greetings,
Jill Balboni

1 comment:

Dale said...

Hey Jilly! I knew you were waiting for that pancreas; I hope it's soon, and that you bounce back, as usual. You look beautiful in the pics, and I'mso sorry I missed you when you were in Tampa-I live about an hour South on Anna Maria-an island that runs between Bradenton and Sarasota in the gulf. I love it here and am trying to find a permanent job. Lots of good feedback, but few jobs. Hope I can stick it out, as this has become my little dream. Glad to see Detroit is well; Horatio, Rosey and Mr. Wobbley send their love. I loved that time in Somerville when we were both married before the men blew it. It was fun, wasn't it, for a while, I mean?
You're high on my prayer list and you have a permanent home in my heart. Fondest wishes for a Merry and a happy 2007. 7 is a very good number, so it will be a great year. Maybe for you the end of any more new body parts!
A heart full of love,
Dale