Saturday, December 08, 2007

TODAY is the second anniversary of my kidney transplant. I thought about calling Mandy and Ted in San Diego but it is just too early to call the West coast. While I am happy that this day commemorates a day of renewal and purpose for me, I can't but help but think of Hillary and Avery Stern who lost their husband and father. There are always two sides to fortune. Since I have received this gift of life, I have made it my purpose to spread the word about the life saving benefits of organ donation and the meaning of the gift of life. I can only hope that I am not wasting the opportunity that I have been given. There are so many existential questions that come up with life or death matters and making meaning out of them. It think one of my greatest challenges has been to grapple with the question to which there is no answer- would Bob and Brett be content with the way I have I lived given their sacrifices to me? Am I honoring their lives? No one wants to feel like they have lived a wasted existence, especially the second and third times around.

No comments: