Saturday, April 29, 2006

I volunteered to be notetaker for a deaf man in my Strategies class and I brought my notes to the Disability Resource Center to fill out paperwork. They asked for volunteers to take notes to accommodate the student and in return you get paid $10 and hour, $40 a class you are already taking notes for anyway. I was very disturbed by the whole experience. First of all, they thought my notes maybe too messy. They asked for a notetaker mid-class and I had no idea I was being judged. Secondly, I looked into what services were available to me-lung/kidney transplant girl and I discovered that I could get a tuition waiver for classes I had to withdraw from. When I inquired at the reception desk about the process, this kid didn't know the half of it and kept telling me to go to the website and about how I had to register first, so on, so forth. So what's the point of the office if everything is web-based? Clearly, the office is designed for undergraduate students- asking that you register 3 months before arrival on campus- uh hello, it will be three months practically until I graduate. Northeastern does not have a medical withdrawal policy and has this option, but in my struggle to get the tuition situation cleared up, wouldn't someone have suggested this? Instead, they took $3000 out of my loan to pay for classes I was enrolled to be taking but couldn't because I was in the midst of surgery! BAHUMBUG!
I am working at mini storage, as I do every Saturday and while my mom usually stops down to bring me lunch and chat with me at my solitary post, Kevin and Heather filled in today. While I am quite attached to Kevin, I am even more attached to little Heather, who ran up to me with arms open to pick her up. My mom and I are teaching her to blow kisses. Kevin brought me a sub and Mt. Dew- such a lifesaver. He is watching Puppa and A-scootie, as Heather calls Scooter, while I am working because 9 hours is a long time to go without a pee/poop break for anyone, even a dog. I am prepping kevin to meet the Rushforths and my dad tomorrow, perhaps if my dad isn't golfing. I brought Heather to play with big baby Jude on Friday. Juse loved her. He is 6months old and is bigger than Heather. Jude is a very happy baby, giggling and smiling and Anne keeps him so stimulated that even I was tired. Jude kept trying to touch Heather, was cooing at her and was following her around in his wheely walker thing. She hitched a ride on the back- she's no fool. Jude just really can't steer. I have a picture I will upload later.

No comments: