Monday, July 31, 2006

Picture of Bad Sinuses Picture of what sinsuses should be...



Well, the past week has been draining, literally. The doctor went up my nose with a rubber hose and cut out all the polyps. A nasal polyp arises from chronic inflammation and lesions. They occur in the frequency from 6 to 48% of patients with Cystic Fibrosis and chronic sinusitis. They occur in the normal population 1 in 200 people. The polyps are like little fleshy grapes that block the airways- they are not usually cancerous. Basically, even though the CF is gone from my lungs, in which the cells were irregular and led to infection, these cells are still present in my sinuses, since you can't have a sinus transplant, yet, this is really the only place that CF will persist, given the pancreas transplant idea.

So now that the polyps are gone, all the infection that was festering behind, less what was sucked out, has been coming out on its own. The doctor described the infection as resembling peanut butter-pesto sauce. Yum! So I have been dealing with the pain and pressure of a sinus infection or really bad cold. I have had postnasal drip, which has kept me awake. Kevin too.

Carrie had her surgery last Thursday. I spoke with her twice and she is toleratig the pain. I wonder how her recovery will be effected because they could not perform the surgery laparoscopically and had to do it open. From my understanding of the procedure, that leaves you with a huge anchor-like scar from sternum to pelvis and then across. Abdominal surgery is truly the worst because you feel like you are going to explode open everytime you cough, or sneeze, or poop, for that matter.

I thought that maybe working today it would be busy since most people will be paying their bills in the next few days, but just some guy getting wardrobe boxes. I think I have more stamina to work more than one day a week and I have been looking at the classifieds to see about teaching at some local colleges. I have my resume updated and I'm thinking about putting some feelers out today with little else to do. I could clean, but not right now, my soaps will be soon!

Okay, if I don't get to posting again real soon- Happy Birthday to Rebecca (August 1), Bri (8/6/86), Tiggy 8/3- I think, Chris 8/11 Chris and Tiggy's Anniversary 8/6...

see you next time!

No comments: