Friday, July 21, 2006

REALLY SPARE ME NOW...
I went for preoperative testing for my sinus surgery, which is scheduled for July 25th. I was just thankful that it wasn't conflicting with my Lia Sophia Jewelry party on the 24th, Monday. I had sent out invitations and have been cleaning feverishly. Brianna O'Toole is the consultant and this is one of her first parties, plus I want the hostess benefits. Sparkly stuff- woohoo!
Anyway, while I was there for my testing, I figured that I would kill several birds with one stone, or one drive to the city since the traffic has been hellish with the tunnels closed due the cement ceiling killing that poor lady. Carrie was having her surgery that day (see: anewdaytolive.blogspot.com for her take on things) and I need an ultrasound of my kidney since I have a poochy pouch in my left lower quadrant. Well, my scan revealed not a fluid pouch as I had hoped, but a HERNIA!!! Apparently, it begins with the musculature next to my kidney transplant incision. Not only that, but the muscle that should be appeared to pretty degraded, which I read as irreparable, yet not life threatening. I just will girdle myself up for important occasions requiring a poochless figure. As you can imagine, the physical scars tell the story of my medical past and one might think that I'd be used to it by now but I'm still self-conscious, admittedly. I have only spoken with the radiologist so we'll see what the kidney doctor has to say.
As I was leaving I ran into Carrie's family, going to see her in post-op. Her mother was talking herself saying "just be positive, just be positive," which is a good thing for her. I know that sometimes she can come across as critical and overly sensitive, especially in this situation related to Carrie's surgery. However, when I approached, her very rational Aunt explained that they were off to see Carrie, she went in for surgery however, it was not completed due to a complication and that Carrie still had no idea. The medical team had not revealed the issue to her. When we arrived Carrie was drugged yet was smiling, and I could see that she had no clue. Her mother approached her, grabbed the issue box and Carrie could tell there was something "not right" and even in her drugged state, she was in no space for drama. her mother explained that they didn't do the surgery, yet Carrie was in pain, because they had tried and made incision and had anesthesized her, so she had a sore throat post-intubation. Yet, it was even more painful for her to realize that she was so close and yet still so far away. The doctor had not seen her since and her family was doing the best to convey their understanding to her of the medical-ese. Carrie contained her emotions, which were probably blunted due to the fentanol- I say good. She would have a lot to process. I have been in similar situations and I have been thankful for Versed and Fentanol to ease the anxiety and wash the numbness through you, enabling you to be ready for anything. When I had my lung transplant, they told me that I could wake up and may not have had the procedure. The Brigham will not proceed if the risks are high or the conditions are not perfectly aligned with their end goal. That's what has kept me so confident in their services. I left Carrie and they were about to release her from day surgery. I have not spoken to her because I wanted her to have a couple days, plus I haven't the slightest idea where my cell phone is. My mom hates that, but that is an entirely different story.
I had a few moments before my preop so I ambled down Au Bon Pain to get a bite of lunch. AS I am getting my Splenda for my iced tea a guy somes up from behind and says hello. He then inquires how I have been feeling- "Ah good.," I reply. " Do you remember me?"he asks. I hate that type of query moree than anything first of all. I look at him hoping for some sort of hint. He has on scrubs and a OR cap. "Anesthesia?" I ask, but as soon as I said that I thought he resembled Doug's former paramedic partner. I was trying to put that whole era out fo my mind. After all, I don't look a thing like I did then, in my humble opinion. Anyway, it was him. To which I fumble, I thought you killed someone and went crazy- that's the story Doug told me at least. But he said that it wasn't the way Doug had said it- big surprise and that he was trying to forget that era as well. Um...OK. "Well, see you around," I said. If it wasn't as awkward I could have said and asked him a lot more but I didn't feel the need.

No comments: