Friday, January 20, 2006




WELL, I HAVE GOOD NEWS and so not-so good news, First, the kidney is amazing my creatinine was 0.9, again amazing, there are no signs infection in or around my wound and it seems that I simply heal slowly. I can go down to once a day for the visiting nurses so that gives me more freedom. I can also go to every other week for clinic appointments- this is a big milestone.

Now the not-so news, it seems that given all my transplant um, experience, shall we say, that they, the kidney chicks pictured above, along with the group of surgeons, have suggested that I be evaluated for a pancreas transplant. The Brigham has just been approved as a pancreas transplant site. Jeez, couldn't they have given me a two for one with the kidney? Apparently not. My surgeon that did the kidney transplant would do the other transplant, but it is another surgery. It seems though, that I would be a good candidate. The CF cells that have caused such digestive distress the past year (that is the final verdict of a cause) would be erradicated and the diabetes- adios! So clearly, it would be good to banish these two bandits. Most of the complications are related to medication, which I have already been on it for nearly 7 years (that's right April 10th I celebrate the 7th anniversary of my lung transplant). I am not afraid of surgery but how much is too much and am I tempting fate by getting another transplant. I have a lot to research and even more to think about. I am starting to think that I should be doing writing and speaking about transplants and organ donation. It seems to be my calling. I'll keep you updated...

No comments: