Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Today was a 6.
I wasn't awake before noon. I resorted to 2 mg of ativan to sleep last night afterall. So I barely remember the mroning hours at all. I do recall my mom delivering some Marylou's coffee (thanks), but any events prior to my one o'clock shower are awash. At least I got clean today. Then I spent my day at dialysis. I got up twice to go to the bathroom, which they always seem to frown upon. Not Tracy though. TRACY is my special person of the day. She is the quickest at getting em off the dialyzer to go to the can- she understands that it is an issue of an dignity and urgency and treats me and my upset colon with respect. We appreciate that. All the old people had their red, white and blue blankets, sweaters, socks, etc. to show their patriotism. Some of them look as though they might have been around 229 years ago for our nations birth. I sat in my chair and nodded off without a pillow. And then, like in a dream, my mother appears with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries- can this be real? LIke an angel, she made the treat for the staff to thank them for caring for me. I have had a pretty rough time of things since I have been there, including the overdose of heparin I got, but the staff looks in on me to make sure I am mentally well and physically, not well, I guess, but stable. I took a strawberry and fell back asleep. If there is any special person in this world I have to recognize, its my mom. I'm afriad I don't thank her nearly enough for all her sacrifices. I know she'd give me her kidney were her blood pressure not so dangerously high. I am so blessed to have a mother like her.
After dialysis, I met Carrie at the Galletti house for some din din. Then we picked up J Bird and headed to the waterfront for some 4th festivities. We spotted money on Nana Rose's lawn (AS a Balboni I have the gift of spotting money from a great distance). I turned the car back around and sure enough, it was a $20. I took it as a sign from my grandmother to have the first round of drinks on her. Though I did consider that maybe my deaf aunt Diane had maybe dropped it. We all discussed it and decided that finder's keepers rule applied. We parked at Dr. Kerr's office in my handidandycap spot and walked to the Crow's Nest, which sucks, however, it was a delight for us because they had available outside deck seating and we got drinks and nachos while the fireworks blasted. All I remember about last 4th of July was that I had kidney failure for the first time. This year was better. Next year will be better still. I have tomorrow off then school starts on Wednesday- Carrie will be off to Florida. Can I be home alone?
Until tomorrow....

No comments: