Friday, July 01, 2005





Today's Rating: 7.5
I would say that today was another 7.5 day- not that I am complaining. I will say that since I rarely sleep and earlier than 4am, just as the sunlight grazes my window shade, I sleep the day away and feel like a loser. I got up today at 3pm, though by nature I get up a couple times to let the dogs out, but I am barely conscious. I was productive when I got up though. I brought the girls at Highland Medical Center an afternoon MaryLou's pick up, even though it was my first jolt of caffeine. Detroit Joe and I took a ride and a walk. His crankiness is getting better. You have to love anyone that would put up with the torture he endures. (see photos) Scooter was much more up for posing with the purple sunglasses.
No dialysis today so my feet resemble those of Fred Flinstone. (Yabbadabbadooo!)

I got some sad news today...Char (Fletcher) Fontan, a tridelta from Beta Lambda (UCF), just experienced the loss of her husband in Iraq when his helipcopter was shot down. Please keep Char and all our troops fighting this needless war in your heart and prayers. There are too many young widows nowadays and while I will keep my political inklings away from my blog not to disrupt the large number of Republicans reading the blog- politics belong somewhere else, not here. Char was a sweet girl, quiet in the majority of TriDeltas who let her star shine quietly among the galaxy of others.

Below please read THE CREED FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SUFFERED. This message has come to me again and again when I need it. I tried to find a Bible verse to send her, but I am not very good with a Bible (my hands keep burning every tiem I pick it up, no just kidding, don't mean to be irreverent). I hope that it finds special meaning for you.

A Creed For Those Who Have Suffered
I asked for strength that I might achieve. I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do great things. I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy. I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men. I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life. I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing I asked for - but everything I had hoped for. Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am, among men, most richly blessed.
This poem was written by an unknown Confederate soldier during the American Civil war. I'm certain we can find echoes of our own prayers and anxious desires within his words. Unfortunately very few of us possess his wisdom and outlook on life.
As this seasoned soldier reflected upon his troubled life, he had the ability to look beyond the various ups and downs to see the greater good that God was always achieving for him. He was a man of faith. He understood the role God was playing in the midst of his suffering and heartache. In the end, his faith gave him the ability to say that among men, he was rich beyond measure.

Back to the Blog...

Last night after posting, I decided to web browse and I came across a beloved ex, DJ Hamilton's (pictured above on right) email address. Some may remember DJ for his infamous fight with Chris Day (LXA) over me on the front of the TriDelta lawn inwhich several shrubs were destroyed. DJ the DJ for 101.1 in Orlando, though not really up for a monogamous relationship, was great for fun. He's the type of guy who isn't afraid to put himself out there and be laughed at, but more often that not people are laughing with him. He once prided himself on the fact that he dated two UCF Homecoming queens so hemust be some kind of stud. I think of all the people I've come across, Dj taught me not to take life too seriously. He also taught me that you can only party like a rock star for so long. I'm glad he's doing well.

I thought that I would write daily about special people that I am thankful for. Today I am thankful for REBECCA HEJL and APRIL (DODSON) AGNEW, and of course, I would be remiss not to mention CARRIE "HOOKER" HOOKS. When I pledged Delta Delta Delta in 1994, I had no idea what to expect. I was very young (17 the whole first year) and my family was 1500 miles away. My sisters helped me through some very tough times. Its amazing the people that surprise us and become our most valued friends. These ladies have taken me into their hearts and they sustain me with friendship and support. I hear from them on an almost daily basis and when I was drowning in my own pity party, they threw me a life preserver and kept me a float. I am truly blessed. I don't think I have any pictures of Rebecca, but please see the other girls in the photo. More favorite people to follow...

Well, this feels pretty long. I want to thank everybody for the posts. I have gotten a boost of confidence from those that you telling me I'm beautiful- its been a long time since any one besides my mom has uttered those words. AW- shucks.

No comments: